Thursday, August 21, 2008

Cupcake Hero August Entry!

I wish the pictures were prettier.... I had grand intentions of doing a Chocolate Jalapeno cup....but couldn't find any fresh Jalapenos. Weird...and my garden didn't yield any either. So I called up my Dad, who just happened to have ONE little jar of some Jalapeno jelly he made a few years ago. I mixed up my favorite 'base' cupcake recipe. And 'sandwiched' the jelly in the center of the cups. Viola'! The frosting is ..well it's a bit of everything. It started out as a creamcheese frosting, then I put some pineapple in it (thinking pineapple salsa), some more of the j-jelly, and had to add some shortening to get it to hold up. It tasted good though. Here is a shot of the inside. My j-jelly sunk to the bottom...next time I do a jelly center, I'll heat the jelly a bit first.
Overall? Well...first let me state that my brother and my husband were too chicken to even try it. Ok...
I liked it. It was weird. It wasn't something you could eat 10 off, but I liked it. The j-jelly center gave it a nice contrast on texture and combined with the light frosting that also had the jelly in it, you could really taste the jalapeno..but it was NOT overwhelming..or spicy by any means. My Dad (who was VERY excited for this ingredient, and to see what I'd do with it) loved them. And he's not even a cupcake eater.
My Mom (who dislikes peppers) even ate one, and said she enjoyed it as well. She didn't really taste the pepper-but said she had an aftertaste that she can only assume would be the jalapeno (since she doesn't eat them). Here's my 'base' cupcake
• 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
• 1 1/3 cups sugar
• 3 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup shortening
• 1 cup milk
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 2 large eggs Directions Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper liners. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add shortening, milk, and vanilla. Beat for 1 minute on medium speed. Scrape side of bowl with a spatula. Add eggs to the mixture. Beat for 1 minute on medium speed. Scrape bowl again. Beat on high speed for 1 minute 30 seconds until well mixed. Spoon cupcake batter into paper liners until 1/2 to 2/3 full. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
I think you can buy jalapeno jelly in the grocery store.
And again..the frosting...yikes..I can't even begin to tell you the 'exact' recipe..b/c there really isn't one. ..but here are the basics:
1 8oz block of cream cheese
1/2 cup butter
approx 3 cups of powdered sugar
1 tsp pineapple juice
1 Tbls crushed pineapple
3/4 cup shortening
2 Tbls Jalapeno Jelly

3 comments:

Ivy said...

I have never had j-jelly which sounds very intruiguing by itself. I would soo try these cupcakes!Very different and unique.:)

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

I'd so eat this! I think pineapple and jalepeno go together nicely!

Grace said...

my grandma makes some mean jalapeno jelly, and while i love it, it never occurred to me to spike a cupcake with it. great idea! :)