Leftover Fiesta..my take on a mexican meal!

One of these days I'll get a better camera and the pictures won't be so crappy..I promise.
This food was REALLY good. And what made it even better? It was fridge and freezer clean out! At least the enchiladas part-
So the enchiladas-Shredded beef and green chili
My Mom (who is the BEST beef roast maker, ever) had made a roast earlier in the week and brought it over, and I knew we needed to use it up...
2 onions sliced into about a Tablespoon of oil-softened them up
to that I added about 9 roasted poblanos. What? Yes. If you don't keep them in your freezer (we happened to have some from when my husband's Aunt visited from AZ-last bag!) use eh..4 little cans of green chilis..same thing!
Then I shredded up the beef and put that in with the veg and added 1/2 pack of Burrito seasoning. (Another thing about my Mom..she's the packet queen, and I inherit ALOT Of those packets) And there is your filling! In another pan and with ANOTHER packet (This time of enchilada sauce mix)-viola! Enchilada sauce!
I used flour tortillas and put about a teaspoon of pepperjack IN the enchiladas as I rolled them up, poured the sauce over top of them (Also a little in the bottom before I started rolling to help with stickage)-then baked them for about 20 minutes, pulled them out and topped with colby jack (liberally) and put them back for another 20. Yum.
The rice-
I don't cook rice on the stovetop. I haven't for years, and I probably never will...I use one of these -not specifically this one, and no I don't think I bought it there either, but it's the same principal...I also always, ALWAYS use Basmati rice. For everything. Yes, I have brown and I know it's healthier, I just like the texture of Basmati.
So..into the rice cooker went-
1 cup of rice
2 cups of water
1/2 cup of salsa
2 T butter
the other half of the burrito seasoning
*for the water for this, I actually ran water in the now empty salsa container to get all the lovely salsa flavor to add to the rice.
Into the microwave for 14 minutes, fluff with a fork...perfection.
Seriously...if you don't have a microwave rice cooker...get one. It's for your own good.
The beans!
1 can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
1 can of chili beans (just dumped into the pan, you want the starch and the juice)
1/2 cup of Ragu cheese sauce
1 teaspoon cumin
salt and pepper to taste.
Once these get heated through, go after them with your handheld potato masher and put them on the back burner on low to get that crusty 'refried' consistency.
Enchiladas-Yum. Rice-Yum. Beans-Yum

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bulogi Korean Beef-take out/fake out at home!

Tipsy Bears!

Chicken with Amogio (Spedini-ish)