Monday, February 15, 2010

Cupcake Hero: Olive Oil

When CB threw Olive Oil at us for the ingredient this month I read it with a sigh and an eyeroll. Olive oil? Really? Seriously? No...I don't want to do it. *shakes head* But the more I thought about it the more I liked the idea...I use olive oil ALL the time, but I'd never thought/dreamt/imagined using it in a sweet application! So I guess I have to apologize for the eyeroll CB! Chocolate cupcakes (Made with OLIVE OIL) w/ raspberry cream cheese frosting
Oven at 350 degrees
1 1/2 cup ap flour
4 T cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
(sift together)
In a separate bowl-
5 T Olive oil
1 T white vinegar
1 t vanilla
1 cup warm water
Mix together, but don't over mix! Pour into cupcake liners and bake for abou t15-20 or until toothpick test is clean!
Raspberry Cream Cheese Frosting-
4 oz cream cheese (softened)
4 oz butter (softened)
2 cups powdered sugar (sifted)
1 T (approx) Davinci Raspberry syrup
Cream cheese and butter together, add sugar and syrup and whip it until it comes to the consistency you want!
These cupcakes were a fortunate make. I say that b/c they day I made them..I NEEDED cupcakes. You've heard the phrase "more than a fat girl loves cake"? Well..this was more like "More than a hormonal pregnant girl with an insane toddler and a dirty house and piles of laundry and mountains of stress needs a cupcake" *sigh*
I literally made these in a daze(dirty floors, dogs barking, cats fighting, toddler running around with markers in just a diaper)...which helps that they were so easy to make! I did the raspberry cream cheese just to be different, but Husband scraped it off..he's not a raspberry fan (even flavor *shrugs*).
So with the bad day I'd had it took ALOT of strength to let these babies cool off and wait for the frosting....but they were worth the wait. They had a wonderful moist flavor (I was expecting more of a fruity flavor from the oil, but nope..just nice and moist). It was JUST what I needed to 'fix' my day. YES I'm one of THOSE people that totally turns to food to fix her problems. And yes, the scale reflects that..back to the cupcakes.
Husband ate 3 when he got home that night and professed they were "really REALLY good". For Husband to give a cupcake a "really", esp a chocolate cupcake a "really"..that's a big deal.
The next day, which at our house is generally the 'even though they were in a closed container they are drying out and we pitch them to the dogs' day....Husband professed they were "AMAZING". He said it was like the overnight sit made them EVEN more moist and they were again, amazing. He ate the remaining cupcakes (sans frosting). That never happens. We always have one sad little cupcake that gets sacrificed to the dogs b/c no one eats it before it dries out.
So, even though it was a rough start I'm happily submitting these for February's Cupcake Hero! I'll let you know when it's time to vote!!

3 comments:

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

The frosting looks out-of-this-world!! ;D

CB said...

Apology accepted! HA HA! So glad the olive oil didn't disappoint. I agree with Cassie. Raspberry cream cheese sounds AH-MAZING! Thanks for participating in Cupcake Hero::February!

Southern Belle Mama said...

That cupcake looks sinful! If only I hadn't given up sugar for Lent!

Thanks for entering the giveaway...I'll be visiting ya again!