Green Monster!

Before I got pg w/Baby #2 I'd planned on getting healthy, lose some weight, THEN get pg..well..didn't happen that way. While I was pg with #2 I stumbled upon some really great websites that are all about healthy eating, good body image and just wonderful women that write them, and I got hooked! I knew that I couldn't really mess with my diet too much while I was pregnant..and yes I used it as my "this is my last time being pregnant, this is my last time to go crazy with my diet" excuse..that was bad..but it was the last time. I was 6mo pg when it was New Year's resolution time, so I opted for a May resolution time. Nothing major..although my ultimate goal is to lose about 80lbs..mainly just eating a better diet..a HEALTHIER diet...with some cupcakes thrown in for good measure. :) Something that I noticed on these healthy sites, but wrinkled my nose at was "the green monster"....really..you kidding? A smoothie with SPINACH in it? Blech, yuck! No way..NOT ME! They all talked about how they were so good, and so addictive, and gave them so much energy. Wait, rewind "says my Mother of a toddler and an infant mind" ENERGY??? I need energy. I need LOTS of energy..I'll happily gag down whatever weirdo concoction I need to if I have more energy to keep up with my two babies.... So I visited Green Monster Movement and looked at the recipes. And it got less scary... I had some baby spinach in the fridge that was needing to either be used, or be pitched..so I decided to jump into the movement. And now...I'm in love! Honesty (which is the best policy right?)-I don't taste the spinach AT ALL. And energy...it's not like a huge buzz like when you down 3 cups of coffee..it's a natural energy that, I'll admit I've never had before b/c I've never really focused on trying to eat healthy. Don't be scared of the Green Monster..it's DELICIOUS! Here are two that I've made... Here (above) is my "Blue-Green" monster- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries 1 banana 1 container of low fat banana creme pie yogurt 1/4 cup 2% milk 2 cups baby spinach (washed) 1/4 cup wheat bran about 5 ice cubes And here...aaahh..look at that crazy Shrek hue! I'm not exactly sure what to call this one...b/c it's just green..but I'm not sure if there is an 'original' green monster or just the addition of spinach makes it green..either way...let's call this my Virgin Green b/c it was the first one I made- 1/2 cup frozen banana 1 container low fat peach yogurt
2 cups baby spinach (washed)
1/2 cup fresh goat's milk
Little things I know/I've learned/I'm doing-
-on the latest trip to the grocery store I stocked up on banana b/c I like to cut it up and freeze it, then stick it in little baggies in the fridge. For the Virgin Green I didn't even use ice b/c the frozen banana gave me the icy texture I needed/wanted..and frozen banana also gives it an awesome creamy texture..kinda like ice cream!
-also on the last trip to the g.s. I hit up the yogurt sale...yogurt has a good shelf life and come in all sorts of yummy flavors. I'm not a huge yogurt on it's own fan. In fact I can't just eat it straight...I love to use it as a sub for milk in cereal though, and now as a good flavor booster in my GM's!
-for the Blue-Green..you'll notice I used Wheat Bran...I use that in ALOT of stuff lately b/c (tmi) post baby I was having some digestive issues and I don't like Metamucil the way my Husby does. I have a box of ground wheat bran and put it in alot of stuff...oatmeal, smoothies, muffins...1/4 cup has 7grams of fiber and I really love the flavor it adds!
-on goat's milk...I know that for alot of people it's not readily available like it is for me..it's available for me b/c my parents and I have dairy goats. More on that later though..I need to do a goat post to introduce the ladies to you all!
Alright..that's all I've got for now on the GM topic! If you haven't tried them..please do..you won't regret it!!
Thanks to Angie and Heather for being such good inspirations and getting me motivated to get healthy!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm a recent GM convert too!
I like your idea about freezing bananas! I'll have to try that.
Ivy said…
These recipes sound really good! I'll try them b/c I always need a healthy and quick breakfast.;)
Angie said…
Yay!! I'm so glad you like it!! Thanks for the mention!

Popular posts from this blog

Bulogi Korean Beef-take out/fake out at home!

Tipsy Bears!

Chicken with Amogio (Spedini-ish)