Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Chicken Ranch and Rice soup

Last week I thought I was getting a cold. I felt sniffly, I felt run down, and there was one day where my stomach was just rebelling terribly. I needed something warm and comforting. I needed soup. I wish I could take credit for this..but I can't. It's a Picky Palate recipe. She's a genius. Get her original recipe HERE. I wish I took the time to do measured out recipes...but unless I'm baking, I don't. So if you jive on measures...go to her every time. But if you are a 'throw it in the pot' person like I am use her's as a guide like I did. Here is how I did it, with my own little Suzy-isms to make it my own.
Onion, carrot, and celery in a little olive oil in a big soup pot. For me it was 1 onion (diced), about 3 carrots (peeled and diced) and about 4 thin pieces of celery (diced).
For my chicken, I just thawed and pan fried (w/pepper and granulated garlic) about 7 chicken breast tenders, then I let them cool and chopped them up and set them to the side. My rice was leftover from when I cooked it a few days prior, and where it was 1 cup dry (originally) I'd used a little bit..so again..it was a guesstimate on how much rice there was in there.
I'm also guessing on how much broth I put in. I had 1/2 a box (which when I poured into my measuring cup was about 2 1/4 cups) and then I made another 4 cups with hot water and 5 chicken bouillion cubes. *shrugs*. Note to self...don't go home and make soup unless you know you have broth!
I don't keep dijon mustard, but I keep spicy brown. So I used that. I also used probably double the amount of HV Ranch powder...and the 'optional' hot sauce..I used and doubled.
SO good. So comforting. Just what I needed. It made a ton, so I even have a good sized container to pop in the freezer for later. I love it when it works out that way!

No comments: