All about the sauce

Alfredo sauce isn't always forgiving. I think that unlike it's counterpart-Marinara you can really ruin a meal if you don't get it right. You see..Marinara..or in our house "Spaghetti sauce" is really easy. Because it comes in a can and it's good. Even throwing it together on your own is fairly easy. It's ok if it's sweeter, or if it's spicier. You don't care so much if it's on the thin side, or on the thick side. But Alfredo...it needs to be the right consistency...one of my food peeves...THICK GLOOPY Alfredo. *shudders* and on the other end of that spectrum THIN WATERY Alfredo. Really...if you are gonna serve me those...just give me a breadstick and I'll be gone, thankssomuch.. I'm guilty of making BOTH the TG version and the TW version of what is one of my favorite sauces. Is it healthy...no. But at an Italian restaurant I'll take white over red any day..I'm the same on wine just so ya know. I'm also guilty of making white sauces that taste more like just really bland gravy. This alfredo though ..isn't roux based..I think that helped out alot! I'm trying to be healthy..right? Well...ok..alfredo..not so healthy...but broccoli is. I knew that I'd need to sneak it in to eat it. I'm a child like that. You have to hide things to get me to eat them. Broccoli isn't hidden in this, actually it's pretty much in your face, but it really is just back up vocal for the Whitney/Mariah/Celine Alfredo sauce I made! It was the perfect consistency, and had the perfect cheesy flavor...but didn't over do it. So um..maybe it's more just like Celine. Alfredo My Way... 1/2 an onion-diced 1/2 a stick of buter 4 garlic cloves-minced put those in a sauce pan and go until the onions are nice and soft, then add 1 1/2 cup half and half 1 1/2 cup heavy cream whisk, whisk, whisk once it's heated through do a 1T butter to 1T flour Beurre Manie (my choice for thickening) add about a 1/2 cup of grated parm (the good stuff, not the canned stuff) and a dash of white pepper. The consistency should coat your spoon, but still have a slight drip. Does that make sense? It will...make it and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. And well...bowtie pasta just seemed like it would be a good fit..along with HEALTHY broccoli (ha!) and some marinated grilled chicken..but again..it's about the sauce.

Comments

Sweet Sins said…
I have a great broccoli post to do with a bechamel sauce i made and u will love it! Ill post it this weekend! and also a low calorie Chicken Florentine that is too die for!!

Popular posts from this blog

Bulogi Korean Beef-take out/fake out at home!

Tipsy Bears!

Chicken with Amogio (Spedini-ish)