My battle with biscuits

I spent a good amount of my childhood in the south. My Daddy was born and raised in Arkansas. And I don't like biscuits. *hangs head* Dry, crumbly, dry, flavorless, did I mention dry? Generally..I'm not a fan. In fact I'll choose ANY other breakfast carbohydrate OVER a biscuit. Egg Mcmuffin, yes please! Croissant-wich, double yes! Even toast..that's right...TOAST, Hell....I'll take a piece of UN-toasted bread BEFORE I'd take a biscuit. I remember summers I spent in Indiana with my Granny and Papaw. I LOVED Granny's gravy..but she always made biscuits with it. So Papaw (who only had one hand btw) would wait until she left the room and would frisbee me a piece of loaf bread across the table in exchange for my biscuit. Loved that Man! When it comes to biscuits..homemade just wasn't for me. I gladly revolted against any semblance of heritage and bought them in cans. My Dad was horrified. He makes biscuits almost daily (probably another reason I don't really like them) He has his standard recipe and I've known that recipe for years. I finally tried it on the Husband..and he liked them...so I made them some more..and they were SO hit and miss. Usually..in my opinion..miss. When Dad would try my 'biscuits', he wouldn't even CALL them biscuits-he'd call them "bread like things". No really. But then I made a new blog friend and I began following her religiously. She made biscuits, I had the things she made them out of, and I figured if they sucked, well...I really just wasn't a homemade biscuit gal. I'd hang up any claim of southern I had and start wearing the scarlett Y for yankee *gasps*. I followed her recipe here (doing a half recipe)
And I will never again stray. These are the PERFECT biscuits. They are what all biscuits SHOULD taste like. They are what biscuits should STRIVE to be. I made them (again) the other day and took some to my Dad.
"What are these?" he asked.
"You tell me" I said..
"Well...*taking a bite*-it's flaky, buttery, good mouth feel, this is a BISCUIT!"
I FINALLY got the Dad-biscuit approval!
And...I finally LOVE biscuits!
Biscuits (barely changed from the recipe linked above)
2 cups self-rising flour
1 stick of butter
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
Cut the cold butter into the flour until it looks crumbly. Add whipping cream until it comes to a good dough texture (not too dry, not too sticky). Lightly roll out on a floured surface, cut and bake at 400 until golden (about 10-15 minutes).
My biggest biscuit test..the day after test (aka if they are edible and good the day after) they pass. So even though I make a half batch of Moogie's recipe-you can easily eat these ALL week.
Go make some biscuits kids!

Comments

I'm kinda into biscuits lately since it's fall and I had one from McDonald's (gasp) a few weeks ago and I thought it was pretty good.
These would be so good with beef stew or chicken dumplings!
Oh sweetie I am so glad that you found what a biscuit truly can be!!

Popular posts from this blog

Bulogi Korean Beef-take out/fake out at home!

Tipsy Bears!

Chicken with Amogio (Spedini-ish)