Things I cannot make...

It's ok to admit that you can't do some things. I mean we can't be perfect at everything...and that's ok. But this place...does ALOT of things perfect. It's this little Mennonite bakery (just outside of Richmond, Missouri) and if you don't know where to look, you'll miss it. And you will miss out. It's a small little building and you walk in and your nose is instantly romanced by smells of yeast breads and fresh pies. They have a deli case full of meats and cheeses. They have shelves full of homemade pickles, jams, jellies, and marinated mushrooms. They sell saffron..like the actual little threads. But I go there for these...
in the unassuming cellophane bag, they don't look that impressive. That's the tricky thing about this place...everything is packaged so simply that you don't expect much...and everything exceeds expectations.
Behold! The chocolate crinkle cookie between my non-manicured fingers. It's my favorite cookie. And it's a cookie I can't make...I know b/c I've tried! They mix the dough up in 5lb buckets and keep them in their walk in cooler. And I think they must be using DARK cocoa powder. The edges are just a tiny bit crispy and the center is moist and soft, like a flat brownie. They are perfection.
And this one? Eh..it's just a picture I snapped out at the farm that I thought was kinda cool. Very hillbilly-chic. Dad's old truck (which is actually my old truck) and Pepper (one of the 12 dogs-not kidding) atop a pile of tarped off hay.
Buffet update-when I told my Mom my plans for painting it she said "it hurts my heart to think of it painted" I countered back with-
"really, painting it is such a problem, but the fact that it's been outside in a storage shed for over a year and is now peeling and falling to pieces (literally) doesn't phase you?"
The double standard is REALLY annoying.

Comments

I wish we had a bakery like that.

And ~sighs~ my mom is the same way. Your mom will love it once it is done. If not, just feed her some of those cookies and she will be happy quick.

Popular posts from this blog

Bulogi Korean Beef-take out/fake out at home!

Tipsy Bears!

Chicken with Amogio (Spedini-ish)