Chile-Cheesy-Chini-Casserole

So the other day I was with my Dad and Little Miss at this roadside stand for pumpkins and I spied some zucchini...I love zucchini (Husby..not so much)-they were 3 for a buck and the PERFECT cooking size. You know what I mean right? Just like eh...and inch and a half in diameter and not gigantic but not tiny. And zucchini season is quickly ending. Sad. That and strawberries are my summer loves!
But what to do with them? I was at a loss for dinner the other night..so I played on Swagbucks a little while looking for zucchini recipes and found one at About.com (btw...both about and swag are awesome sights, just sayin').
However, I didn't have the recipe components that I needed...I had most of the them...but not all of them. AND I had my in-laws to feed too.
So what does Suzy do? IMPROVISE with what you have! And I did..and it was goooooood! 1 package Roasted Poblano turkey sausage
3 smallish-medium zucchinis-cut in half moons
Cheddar Cheese (shredded)
Pepper-Jack cheese (I had slices, but whatever works)
1 cup sour cream
2 eggs-divided
2T ap flour
1/2 cup italian breadcrumbs
cajun seasoning (just stay with me folks)
2T butter-melted
Oven on 350
8x8 pan (greased)
take the sausage out of the casing and brown it
get some salted water boiling and put your zucchini in there for just about 5 minutes-don't get soggy but cook a bit..take them out and put them on a baking sheet and sprinkle with the cajun seasoning
Mix together egg yolks, sour cream, and flour
In another bowl beat the egg whites until peaky, then fold into the yolk mix
Got your cheese out?
Time to layer!
Pan-1/2 of zucchinis + 1/2 of egg/sour cream mix + pepperjack cheese + ALL the turkey sausage
then repeat other 1/2 of zucchinis + other half of egg/sc mix + cheddar cheese
Mix your melted butter with the breadcrumbs, top it off and put it in the oven for 30 minutes.
Yuuuuuum. Really..it was. I loved it! I think you could easily sub potatoes if you aren't a fan of zucchini (or if the husband isn't a fan, like mine). Best part about this? Even though it had kind of a sour cream custard thing going on..it wasn't heavy, at all!
I can't stress it enough to NOT be afraid to experiment and improvise in the kitchen! I think that is the biggest thing that blogging has taught me! I see all these great recipes, but I don't always have the resources to go to the store and get EXACTLY what it calls for..so I make do, and I'm so glad that I do!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bulogi Korean Beef-take out/fake out at home!

Tipsy Bears!

Chicken with Amogio (Spedini-ish)