Friday, October 1, 2010

Mocha Tiramisu

Mocha just means 'chocolate', right? Mocha Frappe is alot more fun to say than Chocolate Frappe..or Latte or whatever-te. Husband-who could eat spaghetti 7 days a week mentioned he'd like that for dinner. *sigh* It's quickly becoming meatloaf to me. Meaning...my Mom made meatloaf ALOT when I was younger and now..I don't really like meatloaf...ie spaghetti='s meatloaf. So..since I knew I wasn't going to love the main course...I had to make sure I'd like dessert, right? I love me some tiramisu. And honestly..the last couple of times I've had it out at restaurants...I've been disappointed. So yesterday I took to the internet...searched out some recipes...tweaked them a bit and made my OWN. It's better that way anyway right? Chocolate Lady Fingers-the easy way (adapted from here) 2 eggs separated 1/3 cup white sugar 1/4 cup + 1T ap flour 2T dark cocoa powder 1/2 t baking powder Oven at 400 Parchment line (and spray with cooking spray) a baking sheet In one bowl beat the egg whites until they are at soft peaks, then add 2T of the sugar and beat them again until they are more peaky. In another bowl beat the yolks and the rest of the sugar until it's pale. In ANOTHER bowl sift the flour, cocoa, and baking powder. Add 1/2 the whites to the yolks-stir gently until incorporated add flour mix-stir gently until incorporated add remaining whites-fold/say it with me-stir gently until incorporated. Now...take this mix and pour it onto your greased parchment. Don't question..just do, ok? Spread it out a little..but not too much b/c it will spread as it bakes anyway. Bake it for 8 minutes. Take it out..let it cool..while you do the rest- Tiramisu (adapted from here) -the white layer 8oz cream cheese 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream 1/3 cup sugar -the coffee layer 3/4 cup cold coffee 1/4 cup Kahlua 1/4 cup vanilla syrup Now that your chocolate cakey thing has cool...cut it into strips. Assemble! 8x8 pan, white on the bottom, dipped strips, white, dipped strips, top with white layer and shakey-shakey of cocoa powder-cover and fridge for at least 2 hours. It's an agonizing wait...but it's totally worth it!

1 comment:

Ivy said...

I really love tiramisu but I have a block on making it for some reason.
Maybe because it's generally a complicated dessert?
Anyway, this looks really moist and delish.