Monday, November 15, 2010

How about High School?

I'm going to go back to how I ate in High School. Sounds weird right? But no, really. I've heard people say to teenagers "you can't eat like that forever!" And yet, here I am...28 years old and thinking that's the way to go! Why? Well.... -high school lunches: premade portions + daily salad='s I ate a salad EVERY day. And most of the time I'd move whatever was in the big spot on the tray to a smaller spot and get a bigger salad. I also had at least ONE serving of low-fat milk daily with my lunch. I say daily...but weekdays is what I mean. -sweets ONLY on a rare occassion. Birthdays-yes. Random high school spirit day-yes. Even though I worked at the local grease pit that had ice cream..I didn't eat it everyday! This, my friends, is why I'm pushing Husband to let me open a bakery-because THAT way I'd be able to be around baking everyday and wouldn't need to bake to eat. I could bake to feed OTHER people. :) I know there was more to my high school diet than that....I know I did alot of bad things...drank ALOT of soda. I didn't drink caffeine but I'd suck down Sprite like a fiend! But since I got the baking bug, it's like my FAVORITE thing to do. Really...when I get a new cookbook-those are the FIRST recipes I go for! How do you moderate something you are obsessed with? How do I go back from baking all the time-to JUST on special occassions? It's gonna be hard...I'm not going to like it. But I think it will be better for me. So here's my plan....ONLY TWO baked sweets for the rest of the year. Wait, what? Yes. I'm the one that is doing dessert for family Thanksgiving. So that is one. And the other I'll probably save for Christmas. It will give me more to look forward to, right? Either that or I'll just go insane from lack of sugar. Maybe not insane, but I can almost guarantee crankiness. The cookies pictured at the top of the post are partially to blame. Those sneaky little sirens called my name until I ate them all. And I don't even really LIKE chocolate chip cookies. But these are different. These are Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies. They are the devil. I first encountered them at Can You Stay for Dinner. Thinking, naively that this gal is 1) totally gorgeous and 2) totally thin...so eating ALL of these cookies wouldn't negatively affect me. Um..ha. It doesn't work that way. And I really doubt she eats ALL her cookies..like a certain cookie monster does *points at self* Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies with Pecans (adapted from here) 2 cups + 2 T AP flour 1/2 t baking soda 1 1/2 sticks salted butter 1 1/2 cups brown sugar 2 eggs 1 t mexican vanilla 1 cup chocolate chips 1 cup finely chopped pecans Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a saucepan over medium high-melt your butter and let it brown. This took me a good 10-15 minutes. Your nose will know, as will your eye when it's ready. It gets this delicious 'nutty' flavor. Pour the browned butter in your mixing bowl, and add the brown sugar. Mix Once combined add the eggs and vanilla. Mix Then add your flour and soda. Mix Then mix in your chocolate and pecans. *I ran my pecans through my mini chopper so they were seriously tiny pieces* I used my mini scooper and went to down on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Baked these babies for about 12 minutes per sheet. Let them cool. Then went to town with a glass of milk. You have been warned. And if you have NO self control, like me...well...I informed you thusly. (*giggles* anyone know the tv show?)

2 comments:

The Frisky Virgin said...

Diet in high school made so much sense, didn't it? I mean, maybe it was because Mom didn't let us have sweets and stuff except on special occasions. Once we get out there on our own, we start having whatever we want, whenever we want. lol Even now, Mom is always right. lol

Kitchen Belleicious said...

Those look positively wonderful! I have never thought to do the butter like that but it makes sense! Thanks girl!m