Monday, March 28, 2011

Apple Crumb Pie

Yes, that is a solid INCH of crumb topping. Just in case you were wondering. So here's the thing kids-I can cook, and I can make it taste really good. But I can't especially make it pretty. Case in point...a double crust pie. I can't crimp pie edges to save my life. I get impatient when it comes to cooking because I'm SO excited about the end product. The beauty of THIS pie? You don't have to crimp crumbs. Crumbs are beautiful in and of themselves. They are like that girl that doesn't have to diet or wear makeup. Last summer I was the lucky recipient of a giveaway over at Moogie and Pap's. PART of that giveaway was a Magnolia Bakery cookbook...and that is where this recipe comes from! Apple Crumb Pie (adapted from The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook) Crust 1 1/2 cups ap flour 1/2 cup shortening 3 T ice water Filling 3T sugar 1T ap flour 1/4 t cinnamon 3 Cups apples-peeled, cored, and sliced* Crumb Topping 2 1/4 cups ap flour 1 1/2 cups brown sugar 1 cup (2 stick butter)-softened and smooshed into little pieces Assemble! Preheat the oven to 425 In your glass pie pan, put your flour and shortening and use either your fingers or a pastry cutter to get the shortening in itty bits. Then add the water as needed...and form crust to the pan. You can also dirty ANOTHER bowl, do the same thing in there, and dirty your rolling pin too and go that route...but I try to keep the dirty bowls to a minimum. Once your get your pie shell where you want it (bring it up the sides, crimp *shudders* if possible)-pop it in the fridge while you get the other stuff ready. Now in a bowl put your apples that you've peeled, cored, and sliced-toss it with the other filling ingredients and put it into the pie shell (and put back in the fridge while you do the crumb top if you want) Now that your apple bowl is empty...use it for your crumb topping. See? I'm saving your dishwasher alot of work! Into the bowl goes the flour and brown sugar and mix that together-then add the butter and use your fingers, or a pastry cutter to make it look like...wait for it...crumbs! The recipe says "Sprinkle the crumb topping over the apple mixture until well covered". Um...this is a TON of topping. No really....b/c I did "sprinkle the crumb topping over the apple mixture until well covered"-and I still had 3/4s of the bowl of crumb left. Suzy says: make sure your pie plate is on a cookie sheet b/c some crumb is going to spill over (no matter how hard you try). So put as much of the crumb on the pie as evenly as you can, then with the 1/2 of the bowl that is left after you've done that...mound it up, baby! Bake at 425 for 10 minutes, then turn the oven down to 375 and bake for another 35 minutes. Then pull it out and let it cool, just slightly before you attack. Trust me here..all that crumb will work. The crumb on top gets all crunchy and shell like over the pie, the crumb on the bottom by the apples gets all soft and almost carmel-y b/c of the brown sugar. And then there are the roguish ones that will be crumbs and fall gently off and allow you to add them to the forkfuls of pie goodness. *As far as apples go...I use what I have (if you are a frequent Cuptin reader that shouldn't surprise you). I know an apple isn't an apple...but I make do with what I've got. I think in this pie it was Gala apples that were getting a little soft.

No comments: