Thursday, March 10, 2011

Chicago style pizza

Little factoid about yours truly: the first 'meal' Husband and I ate as Mr.&Mrs. was Giordano's pizza in Chicago. We were married in the late afternoon in late August, headed to a hotel after, then off on a plane the next morning to honeymoon in Chicago. I'd never been there, and he loved it there. At the time I was working at a Dr's office, so I got the input of all my traveling salesman friends (literally..pharm reps) on where to go...and all of them pointed in the pizza direction.
It's been a long time since we took that trip to Chicago...almost 7 years! Oof! You'd THINK I'd try to make a Chicago style pizza sooner than now..but I didn't! In fact..my pizza used to be terrible, horrible, no good, very bad...no really. Just a note...american cheese, tomato soup, and pie crust to not a pizza make. I'll just let that sink in. You might need to read it again...
But I've grown up...and I kinda know more of what I'm doing now. I'm done pizza a few more times (more lately..it's becoming a favorite)..and Husband asked me to try deep dish...so I made Chicago style..b/c what is deep dish if it ISN"T Chicago style?
The Crust (adapted from food.com recipe)
1 cup warm water
1 pkt quick yeast
2 1/2 cups AP flour
1/2 cup corn muffin mix
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup oil (I used vegetable oil)
Put yeast in the warm water and let it proof for about 15 minutes-then add 1 cup of flour, corn muffin mix, salt, and oil Mix until combined-then add additional flour by 1/2 cups-and let it go (either on your paddle or dough hook-or by hand if that is what you are into)-until it's smooth and not sticky. Put in an oiled bowl, cover and allow to rise about an hour.
*Trick I use? While you are mixing it all together-take a small bowl of water and put it in the microwave for about 3-5 minutes. Then when the dough is ready to rise you put it in the micro b/c it's nice and warm and it's like an electronic proof box. Yay!
Once it has risen, give it a good punch down and play with it for a minute. Then put it into a greased springform (mine is a 9inch) and make it look like a Chicago style pizza crust. Go ahead and coax it up the sides and make it nice and even. Then let it sit for about 20 minutes while you get your other stuff together!
Filling
mozz cheese (anywhere from 8-16 oz)
2 links italian sausage
1/2 cup pepperoni slices (julienned)
1/2 can (28oz can) spaghetti sauce
1/2 cup parm cheese
Now...do this in reverse of what you'd normally think! Put out the cheese on the bottom, then the meats, then the sauce, then the parm (and a sprinkle of oregano if you've got it)
Then blow it a kiss and put it in a 500 degree oven for 15 minutes, then lower the oven to 400 and bake for another 30-40.
Remove from oven and give this baby an excruciating 10-15 to set and cool (you'll need it to, but it will still be warm..I promise).
It wasn't exactly like our honeymoon *snickers/grins*-but it was REALLY good pizza!!

1 comment:

The Frisky Virgin said...

Oooooooooooooh, this looks delicious!!!!! I'm so hungry right now! lol