BEST ever-Chewy Sugar Cookies

I've long been on the quest for (in my mind) the "perfect" sugar cookie. Not crispy, but not powdery soft. Substantial but not heavy...and slathered in frosting doesn't hurt either. Since I'm so often disappointed in sugar cookies, I've shied away. Since I have no patience, I assumed to get that 'perfect' cookie you'd have to chill, and roll, and blah-blah-blah.

But a couple weeks ago I was watching PBS and one of my favorite cooking shows came on...sorry Food Network..I love you, but PBS..well it's awesome. *pushes glasses up on nose and adjusts pocket protector* America's Test Kitchen..I LOVE it! They've got teams of chefs that really break down a recipe and try it a zillion different ways, then they give you the recipe for which way turned out best for them. This chewy sugar cookie does NOT disappoint. Ah..and does NOT need to be put in the fridge or rolled...also..no creaming method..in fact I didn't even use my mixer. Just my God given tools, wooden spoon, and a bowl.


Chewy Sugar Cookies (from America's Test Kitchen)

2 1/4 cups ap flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 ounces cream cheese
6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
1/3 cup veg oil
1 egg
1 tablespoon milk
2 teaspoons vanilla

Put sugar and cream cheese into a large bowl. Pour over melted butter, whisk to combine (some cream cheese lumps are ok). Whisk in oil. Whisk in egg, vanilla, and milk. Add flour and mix until it all comes together-don't overmix!
Roll into 2-tablespoon sized balls, place on greased cookie sheet, and flatten (I flattened with my fingers). Bake at 350 for 11-13 minutes, turning the pan at around 7 minutes. As soon as you see that the edges are browning slightly..take them out!
Let them cool on the pan for about 5 minutes before removing them to a cooling rack.
Let cool completely, then top with frosting of choice.
Note: ATK's original recipe had you roll the little balls in sugar before you flattened and no frosting (what?!). You can do that if you want to as well...but really if you have the frosting..why not use it? :)

My frosting of choice was the leftovers from the Triple Citrus Cupcakes...and I have to say..I'm not sure which I liked it better on..the cookies or the cupcakes! Slightly crisp on the edges, and chewy in the center. Heaven in cookie form.
The babies were even good 3 (that's right 3) days later (as long as they are kept in a ziploc or other container).

Remember, you've still got about 2 hours to enter the giveaway! Free brownies, come on!!

Comments

Um I love me a good sugar cookie! LOVE IT! I am dying to decorate some lately but I just have not had the time!These look yummy!
FYI Can you get a damn subscribe to widget going on? PLEASE?! I love getting emailed when my favorite bloggers post! It gives me an excuse to take time away from work to look at all your genius posts!

Popular posts from this blog

Bulogi Korean Beef-take out/fake out at home!

Tipsy Bears!

Chicken with Amogio (Spedini-ish)