Triple Citrus Cupcakes

I'm all for giving credit where credit is due. And I know I've linked to her before here on Cuptin...but you all need to know...CB, well...she's my Cupcake Idol. My Cupcake Master. My Cupcake Martha. I think I just heard CB gasp all the way here in MO from CA. There...I said it. I'm not kidding. When I need a cupcake recipe...I'll flip through cookbooks first, and I might think about making one out of the book. But when push comes to shove...I check and see what kind of recipes CB has. True. Her red velvet...ROCKS my Husband's world. Her snickerdoodle cupcakes are requested again and again by my Ma and Brother. So a coworker of my husband asked me to make cupcakes for her daughter's 30th. And she asked for just vanilla and chocolate. Easy peasy. I'm all about trying to give fresh cupcakes...so I didn't bake them straight away...and she called last night and asked if she could change the order. Her daughter decided she wanted lemon. I lurve lemon. And I was happy to oblige the change.
I'd made lemon cupcakes before for a babyshower..and I'd used a box-doctor recipe, and they were good. But I felt like doing something more. So I went to the books...and I found a recipe and it sounded alright. Not fantastic...not lemony enough really. So I went to CB's. The heaven's opened and a beam of sunlight shone upon my computer screen when I discovered her Triple Citrus Cupcakes- I called up coworker and asked her "just HOW lemony can I go?" and I described the cupcakes as best I could...and she got excited. So I got to the store and got the necessary ingredients...got home, and got to bakin'!
Triple Citrus Cupcakes (by CB-iheartcuppycakes.com)
Made 24 cupcakes for me-
Cake-
1 package Neufchatel cheese (like cream cheese)
1 stick (1/2 cup) softened butter (salted)
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 tablespoons orange zest
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup half and half
2 cups AP flour
2 teaspoons baking powder

Combine N. cheese and butter, add sugar, orange zest, and vanilla and beat until fluffy. Add in eggs one at the time-mix to incorporate after each addition. Add oil and mix completely-I let the KA-mixer go for a couple minutes.
While the mixer is working, combine your flour and baking powder in another bowl, and get your milk ready.
Add alternately...ending with flour.
I used my ice cream scoop to put these into cupcake liners (1/2 way full) and into a 325 degree oven for 20 minutes (turning at the 10 minute mark)

Frosting
1/2 stick (1/4 cup)of softened butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp lemon zest
2-3 tablespoons lime juice
3 cups sifted powdered sugar

Combine all ingredients and beat the heck out of it. I added a little bit of yellow food coloring b/c that was requested by the coworker!
Frost and enjoy.

Husband-who is generally just a chocolate or red velvet cake eater..LOVED them.
I thought they were awesome as well. Such a nice change, so summery, and so bright. The cake has that nice light orange flavor and the cheese adds such a nice flavor. The frosting though...OH the frosting...so mouth pukering and delicious!!

I can't say ENOUGH good things about CB. Her blog might be Iheartcuppycakes...but I hope she knows how much IheartHER! You rock CB! Thanks for another great recipe!!

Comments

YUM these look so good!!!
Ivy said…
That frosting looks delightfully fluffy and delicious!

Popular posts from this blog

Bulogi Korean Beef-take out/fake out at home!

Tipsy Bears!

Chicken with Amogio (Spedini-ish)