Iced Oatmeal Cookies

The cookie aisle is kinda like high school. 
The cookies that are eye level are the popular ones. They wear BiG brand names and make you clip coupons to get a better deal on them.  They come in all sorts of different versions-double stuffed, chewy, mint, choc'full'o'chunks, their colors might even vary dependant on the holiday season. 
Then you've got that bottom row. They aren't the misfits they are made out to be. They may not have the flashy labels or a huge price tag. They are stable, reliable, constant, dependable, these cookies never let you down. You can count on these cookies to stay the same time after time, season after season.
I think there is something to be said for those cookies.
They are understated and awesome.
They are crunchy. They have warmth from the spices. The cookie isn't overly sweet and it allows the icing to guide your tastebuds to a very happy place.
Delicious. That's what they are.

Iced Oatmeal Cookies (adapted from SmittenKitchen )
2 1/2 cups of old fashioned oats (read the recipe before you dump it all in the bowl!)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup rye flour
1 Tbl + 1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar (regular granulated white)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 Tbl molasses
2 sticks salted butter-melted, but cool
2 eggs

Oven at 350-cookie sheets lined and sprayed with non-stick
Take 1/2 cup of the oatmeal and put it in the food processor and grind them up  to a good powder. Add the rest of the oats and pulse until you can see just a handful of large sides oat flakes.

Add all your dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl.Whisk it around to get them mixed together.
In a separate (and probably smaller) bowl-whisk the eggs, butter, and molasses together.
Fold the wet mix into the dry mix. Don't overmix this.
I rolled mine in about ping-pong ball size (probably 2 Tbl or so)-place on the baking sheet-make sure they are at least 3 inches from the next cookie. These guys need room to spread.
Total bake time is around 16 minutes. Rotate your pan at 7 minutes.
Let them rest of the sheet once you take it out about 5 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack.
Make your glaze-

Cinnamon glaze
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
3-4 Tbl of milk
whisk until you get it to a nice drizzle consistency.

Once the cookies are cooled get glazin'!  I did the dip and drip method: Flip upside down and dip the tops in the glaze, let them drip for a couple seconds then flip them back right side and back to the rack until they were dry.

I know my recipe has stuff in it that you might not have in your cabinets. Don't go out and buy it! Click on the link and see SK's variation-she doesn't use rye flour or molasses.  I had rye flour (the recipe she varied off of used it)-I'm weird like that I guess. And since I don't keep DARK brown sugar, I added the molasses-b/c that is what makes brown sugar into dark brown sugar.

I should have counted how many cookies I got, but I didn't. I know I got ALOT out of this recipe. So there will be plenty for you to share. Or for you to hide behind the pasta boxes in the pantry so only you know where they are....

Comments

I love a good misfit! These look so yummy! I like the hiding them idea

Popular posts from this blog

Bulogi Korean Beef-take out/fake out at home!

Tipsy Bears!

Chicken with Amogio (Spedini-ish)