Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Homemade Ricotta

I wanted something sweet after dinner...but nothing too sweet..I wanted something creamy...and I happened to have some homemade ricotta..so I slapped it on a One-Hour Roll with some blackberry jam. Yum.

I've got lasagna cupcakes on the menu this week (SO excited! Stay tuned!)-and the other day at the grocery I got the stuff I needed...I thought...I got home and had forgotten the ricotta.  Our local grocery is really just a bread and milk stop...and ricotta (which isn't cheap anyway) is generally 75 cents to a dollar more expensive. Thanks Rural Living!  *sigh* So I decided to channel my inner Donna Reed and just do it myself. I'd seen it done on tv. My Dad makes cheese from goat's milk (way better than commercial cheese)-so it CAN be done.

I'm never buying ricotta again. Making it at home you can control alot of things...the amount of moisture (do you want a looser, creamier, cheese or a tighter, spreadable, cheese) and salt content. And in a life where I generally feel like I have NO reigns whatsoever...give me something I can control..and I will thank you!

Homemade Ricotta (from Kitchen Parade)
4 cups 2% milk
3 Tablespoons lemon juice
salt to taste

In a large pot (I used my stock pot)-bring the milk to a simmer(high heat). Once it gets there, add your lemon juice. Drop the heat to medium/medium low and stir. Stir like your life depends on it. Chant 'bubble, bubble, toil, and trouble' and cackle. You'll be stiring for awhile and there is a chance that the chanting doesn't help...but it did help me pass the time. You'll feel when the cheese starts to come together. Mine took about 20 minutes of constant stirring.
Remove from heat (but not from the pan) and let cool 30-45 minutes.
Line a fine mesh colander with a clean dishtowel and arrange that over another larger bowl and pour the curds and whey into it and let it drain. Here is where the control comes in. Check on it and when it's the texture/moisture you want, put it in a container and pop it in the fridge (or eat it straight away).

No comments: