Wednesday, September 21, 2011

On top of ol' smokey...

                              all covered with cheese....Sunday over spaghetti.
Tuesday night (leftovers) Meatball Sliders

Meatballs. Basically my Husband's Holy Grail food. And for 7 years (7 looooong years) I've been searching. Turning over every rock, peeking into every Italian kitchen, and trying over and over and over again.
Too tough.
Not enough breadcrumbs.
Not tender enough.
Too meaty.
Too bready.
It seemed a hopeless battle.
But I was determined to keep trying.
This past Sunday I made a meatball that surpassed all prior attempts...a meatball to which my Husband has bestowed the ULTIMATE honor. "Better than my Mom's".
Thank you, thank you, thank you. Finally.

It is a prep you probably haven't seen/used before-but it's what worked for me.

Meatballs (adapted from Jfolse)

1lb ground beef (80/20)
1lb ground pork
6 eggs
1 cup minced onion
1 cup minced celery
2 Tablespoons granulated garlic
1/4 cup chopped basil
6 slices bread (I had honey 7 grain wheat)
1/2-1 cup panko (approximately-see below)
1/2 cup grated parmesan
2 teaspoons pepper

Oven at 350-
Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper-


Run torn slices of bread through the food processor and add to large mixing bowl.
Add ground beef, pork, and eggs
Run onion, celery, and basil through food processor  until very finely chopped and blended-add to big bowl of stuff
Add garlic, pepper, and parm-
Mix by hand. -Do not overwork!
At this point my mix was still very wet and wouldn't really hold together-so I added panko until I got a ball that would hold together but not one that was dry.
Place meatballs onto cookiesheet-I rolled mine just larger than a golf ball and got 31.
Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
Remove from oven, and raise temp to 400.
Bake at 400 for 20 minutes.
Remove.
At this point they are cooked through. You can do whatever you'd like with them.
I had a pot of sauce simmering, so I added mine into the sauce.

The basil and celery are really key ingredients here. They add a nice herby backtone to the meatballs. These set a new standard in my house. They are tender, but they hold their shape. They have flavor-so they don't HAVE to be drenched in sauce...we ate a couple before adding them to the sauce and they were just as awesome.
And since this recipe makes such a large amount, I was able to stretch it for two meals..and give the pooches the leftovers!

1 comment:

Anna and Liz Recipes said...

Mmmm ! Gave me a good idea to make for my hubby this week! Thanks :)