Friday, January 13, 2012

Ba-na-nas...

Everyone needs a go-to.
And this my Friends, is officially my go-to banana bread. Moist, dense, full of banana flavor, and a bit of a crunchy topping, yes...a resounding yes.
I've had/made my fair share of banana breads. Some just taste like spiced bread. Some are too crumbly. Some are too dry. This one though...it's my new favorite. And it makes two loaves...good for sharing. Or good for binging if you are really depressed.

Cream Cheese Banana Bread (adapted from bakeorbreak.com)

2 cups AP flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup salted butter-softened
1 pkg (8oz) cream cheese-softened
2 cups sugar (we keep organic cane sugar so that's what I used)
2 eggs
2 cups over-ripe bananas  (I had a bag of frozen bananas in the freezer, I left it out to thaw and that's what I used)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Topping-
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tablespoon ap flour
1/2 tablespoon white wheat flour
2  tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Oven at 350
TWO loaf pans-greased and ready-

Into the mixing bowl goes the butter and cream cheese-beat until creamy
add sugar-mix until light and fluffy
Add eggs, one at a time, mix until incorporated
Add flours, b-soda, and b-powder  (you can put those in a bowl before hand, but it just uses another bowl, so I usually skip that step)
Mix until combined
Add bananas-I left mine fairly chunky
Add vanilla-
Mix-
Divide batter evenly b/t the prepared  loaf pans

For the topping-combine all the ingredients in a small bowl, then top the two batter pans best you can-I found that mine was kinda clumpy, so I left it that way, and it works, I kinda swirled it a little, but again...it works.

Bake for approx 1 hour, or until a knife tests clean.
Remove from oven and cool-it's January, so I covered mine up and put them out on the deck..it's 20 degrees...it worked. :)

I think that the creaming method here and the addition of the cream cheese are the kickers. It gives the bread such a good texture! And w/just the addition of a tiny bit of cinnamon in the topping, it's not over-spiced and just lets the banana shine!

Ps....you are welcome for the Gwen Stefani earworm from the blog title.

Happy Friday the 13th! I won't be leaving my house today! :)

No comments: