Thursday, September 26, 2013

Deen shrimp with bell pepper salsa

This is another one of those 'diet' meals. But whoa..was it good!

Let's start with the shrimp...
the other day I was watching an episode of Home for Dinner with Jamie Deen. I mean..I gotta get my Deen fix SOMEHOW since Paula isn't on anymore! But since I'm doing the diet thing..we tweaked the recipe a little...like..we didn't wrap it in bacon. That's about the only change. :)

Jamie Deen Shrimp (tweaked from here)
1lb raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 Tablespoons Sriracha sauce
3 Tablespoons honey
1 Tablespoon smoked paprika
skewers
hot grill

In a bowl mix together the sriracha sauce, honey, and paprika. Add shrimp. Toss to coat. Allow to sit for about 15 minutes, then put onto skewers*, however many you can fit on there. Then grill until done!

Serve over/with a bed of this awesome Bell Pepper salsa! Another weird thing I can't have on the diet (what have we covered so far? pork/bacon, pears..the list continues) white onions. What? I know, right? But I can have green onions/scallions (if you are fancy). I can also have bell peppers..so yay! Also..not a huge tomato fan here..so I was happy to find a recipe I could work around to make work for me.

Bell Pepper Salsa (adapted from So, How's it Taste?)

2 Yellow Bell peppers, seeded and chopped finely
2 Orange Bell peppers, seeded and chopped finely
8 radished, chopped finely
8 scallions, chopped finely
1 1/2 Tablespoon chopped garlic**
1-2 small stalks of celery and leaves (the stuff in the middle of the celery, know what I mean?)
4 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 Tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons brown sugar

I ran all my veggies through a food processor (you could also use a mini chopper)...but I ran them in batches. Peppers first, then put them in a big bowl, repeat with radishes, scallions, and celery.
In a separate little bowl mix together the vinegar, garlic, oil and brown sugar.
Toss to combine. Try to let it sit for awhile..it truly gets better after a night in the fridge!

We served the grilled shrimp over the salsa (as pictured). We also ate the heck out of the salsa on blue tortilla chips. Did NOT taste like diet food. Tasted amazing!

*skewers-if you are working with wooden ones..soak them in water for a bit before you put your food on it, so they don't just burn up on the grill.

**I cheat and keep a bit ol jar of the chopped garlic in oil in the fridge and just use scoops as needed. Great shortcut!





No comments: